Second Dog Dies After Suspected Antifreeze Poisoning

A nine-year-old staffordshire bull terrier is thought to have become the second victim of antifreeze poisoning after dying shortly after a daily dog walk in Ruislip February.

Molly had just completed a regular walk around Ruislip when she became listless, agitated and tired – symptoms also displayed by labrador Ollie when he was killed by antifreeze poisoning in Ruislip on 10 January.

Although Molly’s owner Miss Wilson decided against further tests to determine the toxin, her friend and dog walker Ms Woolf has stated that Molly’s symptoms were similar to those of Ollie the labrador.

She said: “We didn’t know anything about the symptoms at the time, but after I read about Ollie and the symptoms of antifreeze poisoning, they absolutely 100% applied to Molly.”

Miss Wilson has spoken of her devastation following the incident. “We had Molly nearly a decade, she came first before the kids. She wasn’t ready to go, she was fit and healthy,” she said. “This is a horrible tragedy.”

Hillingdon Council has put up notices around the Ruislip area to draw dog walkers’ attention to the suspected poisonings, urging owners to contact them with any information.


Police warns owners after North London dog poisonings

Police in North London are urging dog owners to be vigilant following a spate of dog poisoning in the local area.

Warnings have also been released by RSPCA in Brent after three dogs died and four were taken ill since the beginning of 2014.

One of the incidents, which took place in Kingsbury, saw one dog die after ingesting blue tablets left near a lay-by. A further two incidents involved poisoned meat, which had been left in undergrowth in the area.

Simon Osbourne, chief inspector for the RSPCA, said: “We are very concerned to hear these reports. Poisoning is a cruel and inhumane way for an animal to die and one which would have caused these dogs a great deal of suffering.”

According to the police, dogs affected by the poison will show symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhoea, increased urination, excessive salivation and difficulty breathing. Less notable symptoms may also include contraction or dilation of pupils and tearing of the eyes.

If you believe your dog may have been poisoned, contact your local vet immediately.