Police in North London are urging dog owners to be vigilant following a spate of dog poisoning in the local area.
Warnings have also been released by RSPCA in Brent after three dogs died and four were taken ill since the beginning of 2014.
One of the incidents, which took place in Kingsbury, saw one dog die after ingesting blue tablets left near a lay-by. A further two incidents involved poisoned meat, which had been left in undergrowth in the area.
Simon Osbourne, chief inspector for the RSPCA, said: “We are very concerned to hear these reports. Poisoning is a cruel and inhumane way for an animal to die and one which would have caused these dogs a great deal of suffering.”
According to the police, dogs affected by the poison will show symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhoea, increased urination, excessive salivation and difficulty breathing. Less notable symptoms may also include contraction or dilation of pupils and tearing of the eyes.
If you believe your dog may have been poisoned, contact your local vet immediately.